May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor (The Hunger Games: A Review)

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication Date: September 14, 2008
Genre: Young-adult, Adventure

Summary (by Goodreads):
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
My Review:

I may be the last book reviewer to review this book since everyone in the web has been talking about it and excited for the film. If you have read my previous posts, I guess you already know how much of a fan I am when it comes to books that are made into movies. So when I saw the trailer of Hunger Games and discovered lately that it is based from a book I immediately wanted a copy and as of now, I’m already reading it.

Honestly, I think I don’t have the right to give a review of this book because I haven’t finished the book yet. But I just can’t help it so here’s my thoughts for the first 20% of the book:

  • Suzanne Collins’ style of writing is exceptional. I’m really impressed on how she started the book. The book is written in a first person perspective so I was kinda worried how Collins would handle and cover all the actions and adventure of the other characters. But, hell yeah, she brilliantly got me hooked to this book and I simply can’t put it down. 
  • Despite that fact that the story started really fast-paced, the author didn’t fail to inform the readers of Katniss’ past. Just by reading the first part of the book gives me a clear view of how the movie will turn out. And I guess that’s the quality of the book that made it perfect for the big screen. It is easy to summarize and fantastically written.
  • Tired of the typical modern settings of adventure films and novels? Well, you’ll absolutely appreciate the original setting of the story. Panem (the name of the country) is a combination of a modern and ancient Greek atmosphere. It’s simply breathtaking how Collins brings the readers to a whole new world that they will both hate and love. 
  • This book is exceptionally addictive and intriguing as well. Let me warn you that once you started the book, you’ll never want to put it down. An inciting, compelling book to read if you are looking for a fun and action-packed adventure.

My Expectations About the Movie:

When I first heard about Hunger Games the movie and that it is actually based from a novel, my first thought was that: “Hunger Games? Is that an online game?” Then suddenly, I found out it is a movie based on a book then I thought, “Why all my favorite novels don’t make it to the movies?”. So that’s what made me interested in finding out why people making a fuss out of it. That’s when I searched and watched the trailer of this upcoming movie.



Watching the trailer was a hard slap on my face! I literally had goosebumps while watching it and I immediately wanted a copy of the book. Oh well, enough about the book. I want to share my thoughts about the movie. So here they are:  
  • The casts are perfect! Really! Jennifer Lawrence is perfect as Katniss Everdeen and the rest of the casts are just so right for their respective characters except for one thing. I like Peeta so I really want Liam Hemsworth for that role! But the movie’s finished, might as well accept that fact.   
  • Okay, moving on. Recently, a news about Taylor Swift singing the soundtrack of the said movie has been confirmed and the song was officially released. We all know how much fans TS has and her, singing the OST of the film is an effective promotion for the movie to make it to the top of the gross.
  • The trailer itself has proven how the movie justifies the plot of The Hunger Games. So I really can’t wait to see it in the big screen. Saying this movie is amazing and interesting is an understatement. I just can’t describe how excited I am to watch this film!!!! But I gotta finish the book first before I forget. :D
Followed By: Catching Fire

    0 Comment(s):

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    .

    Search

    Currently Reading..

    Currently Reading..
    Supernaturally by Kiersten White